Mar 23, 2007

Hugger baby

I need to share something wonderful with you: my 15 months old baby is a hugger. We met a group of about 5-6 kids yesterday and he went on and hugged each one of them. At the time when he should be at the peak of his stranger anxiety he's showing and demonstrating affection for others.

I was so scared that he will either inherit or learn the anxiety and shyness from me. I guess there's still time, but right now it looks like he's just fine, maybe even a bit more social than kids his age. I got the book on helping shy children and read it even before he was born, I watched his every interraction with everyone. and now I got to have a big sigh of relief. Hey, he can get all our other deffects, but if he won't be painfully shy, it will be so much better for him.

And I'm happy that he learned that hugging is nice. I can tell how he learned that: he's hugged and asked to hug a lot and he sees us hugging a lot too. In my family that didn't happen. I can count on my fingers the number of times I remember my mother hugging me. I guess some families are like that. I'm happy ours isn't!

No comments: