Sep 15, 2008

Tips for new bloggers

These days I have more subscriptions to my blog than ever before... Don't take this to be in the millions of readers LOL, just around 30.

Anyway I just figured I'll post a few tips that helped me. Paul Levy got me started and I continued to learn by example from him and others. But this was long ago and I can repeat for the new readers that might want to take up blogging.

In blogging, just like anywhere else, the most important thing is to have relationships.

  • Be nice and notice others if you want to be treated nicely and noticed.
  • Link to other blogs you like and that are relevant to your blog. Best way to be noticed and the others might reciprocate and link back.
  • Write at least 5 posts before starting advertising or linking to your blog. This way new comers can see what's it about and decide if they are interested. There is a lot to read these days.
  • It is not that easy to keep up with writing regularly, so find your pattern of writing before promising anything.
  • Build a relationship before asking for any favors: write (nice thoughtful) comments on other blogs, answer to comments on your blog. I'm more likely to listen to someone that added my blog in a post or article than someone that sends a mass-mailing looking email that tells me they like my blog - without any details.
  • If you get obvious spam, just delete it and don't think twice about it. It's part of online life these days. If you deleted something by mistake, just apologize if possible and move on...it doesn't really matter.
Good luck and have fun!

No comments: